Jealousy is that unpleasant emotion you feel when you think someone’s trying to take what’s yours. – Vocabulary.com
So you see, jealousy is never towards a thing but a person. Better put, jealousy is to a person over a thing eg. Wealth, health, love, friendship etc
In most cases, jealousy reigns within a near distance.
What does that mean?
It means you’re most likely to be jealous of someone you can get in contact with easily. Eg. Your sister, your friend, your classmate, your colleague etc
It’s quite normal to get jealous vibes from time to time but staying with the kind of jealousy that lingers?
That’s abnormal (normal that had abs. The kind that has been working out). For real, that’s strange.
So what’s the deal?
You’re being comparative, you’re feeling intimidated (even though you may never admit to this one), you’re probably threatened too – that someone is getting something you want. In fact, the person is getting something that should be yours or is yours.
Jealousy is displeasing. That’s final.
A jealous person ends up making misinformed decisions and jumps into conclusions. It’s unhealthy because you can drive yourself or the people around you crazy – the negative kind of crazy.
So in the end, you’d be hurting yourself and missing out on other interesting things.
So here are 5 easy steps to overcome jealousy. Get a piece of paper and answer. You need to ask yourself a lot of questions:
1. Take a moment and ask yourself, “Why am I jealous?”:
Discover the root of your jealousy. What is making you jealous? Why is it making you jealous?
2. Exchange roles: Imagine the person you’re jealous of as yourself. How does it feel?
If you were them, would you think anyone should have a reason to even be jealous?
3. Recognise yourself: Who are you? Why are you exercising so much energy on being jealous of someone?
4. Talk about it: Jealousy kills. They say a problem shared is a problem half solved. Talk about why you’re jealous to the person you’re jealous of. If you cannot do that, talk to a counsellor.
5. Fix yourself: Distract yourself with the things that make you happy. Remind yourself of your qualities. If it makes you any happier, give yourself a thousand and one reasons you excel over the person you’re jealous of.
Jealousy is bad news. The longer it stays, the more likely you are to do unpleasant things. Be a better person today, you can do it. Send it out.
You can also watch this video from watchwellcast on youtube for more ginger: